Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Oh-me Oh-my! Dip Dye DIY



 photos curticie of apartmenttherapy and 2modern blog


Dip dye furniture has become one of the hottest trends in DIY furniture for 2012! It adds that extra something to make drab furniture into something unique.



Things needed:
Paint (I used left over wall paint)
Brushes
Painter's tape
2 yards of fabric (1 yard needed per seat cushion)
staple gun
screwdriver

I did this using 2 chairs that I bought at a local thrift store for $10 each. From there, I gave the chairs a good cleaning and removed the seat cushions (the cushions are usually screwed into the bottom of the seat). I then  painted them using an eggshell white from my local paint store. Once they were dry, it was time to tape off the legs using the painter's tape. Use a ruler and make sure each leg is the same height. Next, choose a color for the bottom of the legs - I suggest using a pastel color such as salmon or mint green. Paint the bottom of the chairs with the contrasting color. I suggest applying 2 coats so the color is really vibrant. Then, just peel the tape off when the paint is completely dry. A helpful hint: make sure the tape is level when you're wrapping it around the leg of the chair! Also, if the paint bleeds through the tape, don't worry - just take your paint brush and touch it up.
Covering the seat was really easy and took no time at all. I used fabric I purchased from Purl Soho down on Broome Street in Soho.

 I sugest getting thicker fabric so it is less likely to be easily damaged. I learned how re-upholster from a youtube video from Howdini. In 10 minutes time you'll have a new seat cushion!

So there you have it! Dip dyed furniture!

Hope this inspires you to spice up any tired furniture in your home!

Xoxo
Crafty Little Minx



No comments:

Post a Comment